How to Keep Your Furnace Running Properly
Winter causes a lot of stress for a lot of people. Aside from the hustle and bustle of the holidays and the never-ending question of when it will snow, staying warm can be a challenge. Many people rely on a furnace to help them combat this. However, before you turn on your unit and wait for the warmth to comfort you, there are a few general maintenance tips to keep in mind to ensure it works to its full potential.
If you notice a problem that you can’t fix on your own, it’s best to call in an HVAC technician. Since 1988, Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air has been a trusted provider of heating services in West Palm Beach, FLe. They have this problem under control, no matter how minor or major it is.
Furnaces have a lifespan of 15-20 years. You can make it last longer by following the advice below.
Change the Duct Direction
This is a maintenance step that few people consider, but it can be very beneficial in terms of energy efficiency. Improperly placed ducts can force your furnace to work harder than necessary to heat your home, resulting in higher energy costs and a shorter lifespan for your system.
- Taking a few measurements is the simplest way to determine if your ducts need to be modified:
- Measure the distance between the vent at each duct’s end and the nearest exterior wall or roof vent.
- Take measurements across all of these distances, as well as from one side of each measurement to the other.
- Compare these figures to the size and length specifications provided in your manual or on a chart specific to your furnace type.
If any readings fall outside these limits, you will need to adjust the ducts to point in the proper direction for optimal airflow. If you are having difficulty moving your ductwork, it is acceptable to seek assistance from professionals such as Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air.
Clean the Filters
Examining your furnace’s filters is one of the simplest tasks you can perform. These filters can become clogged with debris over time and, if not cleaned, can result in insufficient heating or even fires. Here’s how you can do it:
- Begin by looking for the filters in your furnace cabinet. The majority of filters are rectangular and can be twisted out of their slots.
- Hold the filter up to a light source and look for any blockages, such as dirt or other particles, that could clog the passageways in the furnace.
- If an obstruction is discovered on the filter, gently wipe it away with a moist cloth, taking care not to damage or tear the filter material.
- Replace the filter in its slot, making sure it interacts with both sides of the slot as you push it in.
- Close and secure your furnace cabinet door before returning to your regular activities.
The overall process does not take long, so it should not be a difficult task to undertake!
Request the Services of Technician
While you can complete some simple tasks on your own, larger jobs should be performed by those who are knowledgeable about furnaces. This will keep you safe.
Calling Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air before the first cold front can be one of the best decisions you make because you will be able to see if there are any damages to your unit before you need it the most. This way, you won’t have to be concerned about a breakdown in the dead of winter.
Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air has been a top contender for residents of Jupiter, West Palm Beach, and Palm Beach Gardens, FL, since 1988. Whether you just want a thorough cleaning or notice something strange about your unit, they will be there to help you in no time.
A regular checkup can also help determine whether or not your furnace has reached the end of its useful life, as well as whether or not it is energy-efficient. If you want to save even more money on your utility bills, Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air can recommend ENERGY STAR-approved furnaces. They can even tell you about their own special deals and financing.
With a little effort and regular maintenance, your furnace will be able to keep you and your family warm all winter. Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air would be delighted to assist you with this.
Winter causes a lot of stress for a lot of people. Aside from the hustle and bustle of the holidays and the never-ending question of when it will snow, staying warm can be a challenge. Many people rely on a furnace to help them combat this. However, before you turn on your unit and wait…